Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Grace Handwarmers



I'm back at school and getting back into the thick of things, but I wanted to pop in and share something I made last week. I owed my friend Grace a birthday present. She lives in NYC and I wanted to get her something both useful and glam so, of course, my mind turned to handwarmers. I love handwarmers because they are versatile (you can get more seasonal wear out of them than gloves, especially if you live in a warmer climate) and stylish.

I shopped around for yarn and found a great pick-- Berocco's Lustra. It's wool and Tencel and feels gorgeous and extravagant when you work with it. It's actually not extravagant at all, at least price-wise, and you get a generous 197 yards per skein. I chose the wine color because I thought it would look great with Grace's complexion and because I thought it was classy but still a fun choice.

When planning the handwarmers I had trouble finding a pattern that was knit in the round instead of sewn, so I just wound up writing my own. I did 2x2 rib, moss stitch for the hands, and then ended with short few rows of rib and some eyelet lace.

This is a really terrible photo since my photographer boyfriend wasn't around to help me photograph, but rest assured-- in real life these fit much better than they appear to in the photo.

What's on my needles now?
SOCKS.
I will tell you all about that when I finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment