Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snow Days

For those of you who actually live somewhere with 'real winter,' this photo is pretty unimpressive. But to those of us who live in the South, this much snow is terrifying. The whole city has shut down and today is snow day #2 this week. No class, no school anywhere, and so far, no mail and no trash pickup. It's like living in a totally silent city, except for the little kids playing outside in the street. You know they are enjoying their day off!

The snow was so bad that Luis had to stay another day, turning his visit into a three day weekend! It was nice to just take a break and hang out for the day, especially since I had a terrible and very hectic Monday that left me feeling like I needed a month off for vacation! I have been spending a lot of time catching up on my school reading, watching TV (X-Files, mostly) and, of course, knitting. I am fortunate in that I have not lost power, water, or heat so I can enjoy the day off instead of shivering miserably like some other people stuck in the storm. 
I also wanted to take a moment to show off the latest stage in my handwarmer obsession! I have recently knit up two pairs of these cuties and I think I have finally perfected my pattern. It's so easy that it's not really worth glorifying it with the title 'pattern'...just ribbed handwarmers with a thumbhole and a feminine touch of eyelet lace at the top. 
The pair in gray and white is knit in Cascade Alpaca's Eco Duo and was a birthday present for my dear friend and fellow grad student, Julianne. The turquoise pair I'm wearing is in Araucania (of course-- I'm obsessed!) and I'm keeping them all to myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment